The picture shows my 500ml bottle of vanilla extract. Here’s how I make it…
Take 6 to 8 vanilla pods and split them with a sharp knife, leaving them just attached at one end. Pop them in your cleaned bottle.
Top up the bottle with standard vodka.
Shake when you remember for 6-8 weeks.
When you’ve used about a third to a half, top up with more vodka, shake the bottle.
- Use as directed in the recipe (like this courgette cake)
- In cake, muffins, ice cream, custards and other sweet goods
- It goes well with chocolate, coconut and coffee
- It likes spices such as cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg
- It complements chestnuts, hazelnuts and walnuts
- All kind of soft fruit are improved with it
- A bottle makes a great present for the foodie/baker in your life
I’ve bought my vanilla pods from Vanilla Mart.